CRI President and 17th U.S. Surgeon General Richard H. Carmona, M.D., M.P.H., FACS, has been a member of The Coca-Cola Hispanic Advisory Council since 2007. In today’s climate, global corporations like The Coca-Cola Company have the ability to play a valuable role in helping people make informed choices about their health and well-being. Partnering with CRI provides The Coca-Cola Company with opportunities to catalyze the best practices of public health and health literacy to educate, inspire, and empower all people to prevent disease and embrace a life of wellness.
How We’re Making a Difference
The overall goals of the partnership are to apply the integrative health model and the best practices of health literacy to help people living in low-income communities:
- Moderate their caloric intake
- Increase physical activity (both moderate and strenuous)
- Manage stress
- Maintain healthy relationships
- Ensure the health of the environment at home, in schools, and in the community
- Be engaged, productive, and effective members of their families and communities
Canyon Ranch Institute evaluates all our programs’ effectiveness across the entire scope of our integrative model of health. CRI measures the impact of addressing health literacy in regard to participants’ changes in nutrition, physical activity, physical health, knowledge, stress, and attitudes.